Timmeloche

Timmeloche

Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader
Bathroom Readers' Institute
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
James Marsters, Jim Butcher
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Shel Silverstein
Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
Brad Parks

The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1)

The Kill Artist (Gabriel Allon, #1) - Daniel Silva An Average Read Until the End

This marks the first book I have read by Daniel Silva. The Kill Artist, the first in the Gabriel Allon Series was first published in 2000 and it is starting to feel its age. The story resolves around Israeli and Palestinian conflict. There is a cast of "villain" and "anti-hero's" and retaliation is the word of the day. The plot feels tired. Granted, had I read it first in 2000, I may have not felt this way.

As in many books that are the first in a series, the story starts of slowly as we are introduced to the characters. Despite my issues with a tired plotline, the characters are interesting. Our "hero" is a former Israeli intelligence officer who has retired and is working as a reclusive, world class art restorer. He finds himself (surprise, surprise) drawn back into action for the protection of Israel. He is an interesting and nuanced character.

His sidekick / love interest/ former love interest / partner is an aging (ok. she is 33 but she says that she is old for her job) world class fashion model. She has also worked an Israeli agent using her "assets" to get information or put foreign diplomats in compromising positions.

I was rather bored of the book by the halfway point. I only continued to read because the author has been highly recommended by multiple sources. The action picks up halfway through and zips on to a high finish leading a final 3.5 star rating. I plan on reading the next in the series.