Timmeloche

Timmeloche

Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader
Bathroom Readers' Institute
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
James Marsters, Jim Butcher
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Shel Silverstein
Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
Brad Parks

A Battle Won

A Battle Won - S. Thomas Russell An exciting 4 Star Adventure

Another wonderful entry into the saga of Captain Charles Hayden. This second book in the series takes our hero back onto the vessel Themis, the location of adventure and mutiny the first time around. Still without an official posting as a Captain, Charles Hayden is posted to the ship to take a convoy across the waters too late in the season. The trip is filled with excitement. Several battles and pestilence aboard ship in the convoy, account for the excitement of the first 2/3 of the book. The last third of the book, the Author takes on real historical events. Specifically, Admiral Hoods delegation to Corsica. We are introduced to several real characters from History. Overall, the book provides plenty of excitement while our hero deals with two different adventures.

As the second book in a series, A Battle Won is written like most sequels. There is some repetition in the most interesting plot devices from the first book. Fortunately, there was sufficient difference to keep the story fresh. This installment does differ from the first in a couple of ways.

My only real issue with the book is when the story takes place on dry land. A significant portion of the story takes place in Corsica. During this period, the book slowed as writing was not as sharp as the portions that take place aboard the ship.

Overall, an excellent addition to the series. The author flexes his writing muscles and incorporates more real history into his story. This always adds more realism to HF. Looking forward to reading the rest of the series.