Timmeloche

Timmeloche

Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader
Bathroom Readers' Institute
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
James Marsters, Jim Butcher
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Shel Silverstein
Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
Brad Parks

Legend (Event Group Adventure, #2)

Legend (Event Group Adventure, #2) - David Lynn Golemon Not up to par with the debut - 3 Stars

Random Ramblings

After being filled with excitement after the stellar book that was #1 in the Event series, I was left a bit disappointed with the follow up effort. Unfortunately, the issue I had with story structure were worse in the second book and showed little growth in writing. It is my expectation that an author will improve on a debut novel. In reality, this is a story of two novels. The first 50% was a generous 2 stars while the final 50% was easily a 4 star book. Hence, a 3 star read. The story had good and bad but overall there is promise in series and I will undoubtedly read the third novel.

Plot summary

The main plot is the search for the mythical El Dorado. As you can probably guess, since the event team is involved, the fabled Incan gold mine hold more secrets than traditional treasure. Four different groups of people converge on the site searched for one of the hidden treasure and mayhem, explosions and political intrigue ensues.

The Good

The last half of the book had some excellent and fast moving action scenes. There were also a significant number of creatures that have fallen off the evolutionary ladder so to speak. This is always a plus for me and reminds me of the early (and still my favorite) James Rollins novel. If you chose to start this book, it may be best to skip first half of the story.

There is also significant use of novel technology. Massive lasers from the sky, high tech boats, etc. The book is not so old that these items seem dated.

The Bad

The story doesn't focus on person in particular. It took half of the book for me to figure out who it was that was in charge of the Event Group. There are a load of characters and there is very little character development. It is hard to keep track of who is who, who loves who and who does what. A real short coming in book. Halfway through it doesn't matter as the story and action lead the charge. On top of this, the story does not feel like it get into a rhythm. You are bounced around so much you feel disoriented when the ride is over.

While overall, the story is a plus, the storytelling flaws bog it down. As I see it, there are at least two ways to write a great AA story. If you wish to forgo character development, don't let off on the throttle when it comes to action (see Matthew Reilly). If you want to pace your action, focus on a develop several memorable characters (see James Rollins). Unfortunately, Golemon skips a few steps and it is his story that suffers. I hope this improves as the series progresses.

Content Advisories

It is difficult to find commentary on the sex/violence/language content of book if you are interested. I make an effort to give you the information so you can make an informed decision before reading. *Disclaimer* I do not take note or count the occurrences of adult language as I read. I am simply giving approximations.

Scale 1 - Lowest 5 - Highest

Sex - 1

There was no sex to speak of. A hand on a leg here, a longing look there and maybe one church worthy kiss. Nothing your grandmother can't read.

Language - 2.5

Occasional adult language with a handful of f-words and smattering of religious exclamations and lesser adult language. Low to Moderate.

Violence - 3.5

In total about 33 good guys die and a similar number of bad guys and innocents. While the deaths are not graphic, people are shot, impaled, cut in half and drowned to name a few. The death tally steadly increases page by page. While not graphic, the violence is fairly constant and focus of the story. Some of the violence is sci-fi "animal/monster" in nature. I consider it moderate and relatively normal in this genre.