Timmeloche

Timmeloche

Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader
Bathroom Readers' Institute
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
James Marsters, Jim Butcher
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Shel Silverstein
Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
Brad Parks

Faces of the Gone (Carter Ross Series #1)

Ancient Glass in the Yale University Art Gallery - Susan B. Matheson This was another of my Dominican Vacation reads. As I read many books that week, I am doing some simplified reviews so I can catch up.

As Good as any in the Genre - 4.5 Stars

There is something about that nosy, ethics driven, ignore common sense and the police investigative journalist (IJ) that intrigues me. Carter Ross is that guy. I like the IJ crime mysteries. They can go places the police can't, speak to witnesses who would avoid the police and are not dragged down by this little concept of "Human Rights" (at least as far as in how they investigate).

The Good

Very few books get me laughing. Someone told me that [a:Carl Hiaasen|8178|Carl Hiaasen|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1208367876p2/8178.jpg] was funny so I picked up one of his books. Sure, I could see why people thought it was funny but it didn't make me laugh. Carter Ross made me laugh. Honestly, I found him funny and I often laughed out loud while reading. I have to say there is one scene involving a gang informants, the ultra WASPy Carter Ross and a big joint that kept me laughing every time it was mentioned.

While many crime writers like the gruesome murders and the serial killers, I enjoy the IJ sub genre as they are often looking at broader issues or issues that are not on the police radar. In this novel, Carter Ross is investigating the connection that the murders of several drug dealers has with a specific brand of heroin that has been released on the streets. Throughout the investigation, Ross meets a wide variety of colorful characters ranging from an exotic dancer - escort, a street gang with an entrepreneurial spirit, a feisty grandma caring for her grandkids to an editor sizing Ross up to be a potential sperm donor. While the cast of characters is entertaining and often funny, the story never loses focus of the serious nature of the crimes and the investigation.

The Bad

The voice of the bad guy was a bit strained. Many chapters would begin inside the head of the unknown criminal mastermind. After a while, his scheming got the point of cartoonish and near the end when he spoke to his sidekick I was expecting his to say "Pinky, are you thinking what I`m thinking!" While I found the investigation and the crimes to be very believable, the ultimate reveal was less impressive. I had difficulty believing that the bad guy honestly thought he would get away with what he was doing.

Regardless of my issues, the book was a very enjoyable read. With the exception of [b:Providence Rag: A Liam Mulligan Novel|17910157|Providence Rag A Liam Mulligan Novel|Bruce DeSilva|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1384569372s/17910157.jpg|25095613], it is the best IJ crime novel I have read in a long time. If enjoy this subgenre, I urge you to pick it up and give this series a try.