Timmeloche

Timmeloche

Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader
Bathroom Readers' Institute
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
James Marsters, Jim Butcher
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Shel Silverstein
Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
Brad Parks

Under Enemy Colors

Under Enemy Colors - S. Thomas Russell My #6 favorite read of 2013

A superb 5 Stars

A riotous high seas adventure filled with mutiny, inept leaders, cannons, court marshals and one entertaining half French, half English hero.

Many times during the reading of this book I stopped and said to myself "this is a superb!" I wasn't kidding myself. It really was. Personally, well written historical fiction is the best and most entertaining type of novel. Under Enemy Colors had all of the things that I look for in good HF.

The setting and characters felt authentic. Having no real knowledge of the live of a British Navyman in the 1700's, I am no expert on authenticity. That said, the characters interactions with each other and the tiered society came off as authentic. The reader has the sense they have been transported back in time and to a earlier society. Unless the reader has special knowledge of some distant period of time, authenticity will be subjective. S. Thomas Russell brings us on a voyage filled with characters and settings that are believable and seem to fit with their surroundings.

The characters are well developed and interesting and the story is sharp and interesting. We follow the journey of First Lieutenant Charles Hayden whose career in His Majesty's Navy is floundering. He is offered the devil's deal to sail on the Ship of one Captain Hart who is well placed in society but inept at his post. He is offered the post on the requirement the report secretly to the admiralty of the events on the ship while being offered nothing in return. We follow along on a campaign with Charles Hayden and he fights off both mutiny and his inept captain.

Having read very few novels revolving around the British Navy, I have no real basis of comparison. I have heard it compared to the Horatio Hornblower novels and Bernard Cornwell novels. I cannot speak to the truth of these comparison but I give it my highest recommendation.

As a final note, the book uses many nautical reference any constant reference to areas of the ship. I have little to no knowledge of sailing and nautical terms but I was not lost or confused while reading the book. To me, it gave an added sense of realism.