Timmeloche

Timmeloche

Uncle John's Curiously Compelling Bathroom Reader
Bathroom Readers' Institute
Turn Coat (The Dresden Files, #11)
James Marsters, Jim Butcher
Where the Sidewalk Ends
Shel Silverstein
Eyes of the Innocent (Carter Ross Mystery #2)
Brad Parks

The Starboard Sea: A Novel

The Starboard Sea: A Novel - Amber Dermont My #1 Read for 2013

This book reminds me in many ways of [b:Bridge to Terabithia|2839|Bridge to Terabithia|Katherine Paterson|https://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1327880087s/2839.jpg|2237401], the book that started my love of reading. Don't get me wrong, The Starboard Sea is certainly more adult oriented and certainly not a children's book but there is something about a coming of age story that brings me back that first book that made such an impact on me.

The Starboard Sea is a melancholy and at times, a brooding story that gives us peak into the lives of rich and privileged kids at a boarding school. In small part, the book explores what money can allow one to get away with but beyond this the story explores how people deal with guilt, regret, death and ultimately how some learn to heal.

Although the main characters were finishing their last year of high school, I didn't feel I was reading a book about kids for kids. To appreciate the emotional weight of the book I think you need to have a few more life experiences than a newly minted high school graduate.

The book is equally emotional, moving and disturbing. Some of the themes will make some readers uncomfortable but I think it is the turbulence within the story that draws you in. An excellent, emotional read. 5 Stars and a top read of 2013.